I'm not particularly interested in a social network for my personal life so I joined the NECC ning since I just got back from the ISTE NECC conference in Washington DC. I invited Kathy Schrock to be my friend. I'll let you know if she accepted. KATHY IS MY FIRST FRIEND!
Twitter makes sense for sending the oneliners when there's not enough time for a note. The length of communication keeps getting shorter over time (letter, postcard, email, text, tweet). Just a reflection on how busy we are, or our priorities have changed.
Children, as well as adults, need to be cautious about how much information they give out. Unfortunately, there are people out there looking for victims.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow, you have been busy since you got back! Let us know if Kathy accepts Ning membership! :-)
ReplyDeleteYour comment reminds me of a quote by Mark Twain to this effect: "I wrote a long letter. I would have written a short letter but I didn't have time." Is this another writing skill we need to add to the curriculum as a power standard, how to be short and concise in written communication?
Yes! Writing short and concise statements is a must! I remember during my graduate thesis course, when reviewing papers, students tended to be long-winded and wordy. Is this because teachers/professors put so much emphasis on length? More time and effort needs to be put forth into quality than quantity.
ReplyDeleteAs for a letter or a tweet? I'd take a letter any day!!
Although a "sweet tweet" might be a "nice treat" from time to time. . . :-) *groan Did I really just say that?
ReplyDeleteI'm extremely selective about following Twitterers - personally there are only two that I follow. Somehow 18 signed up on to Follow me and I hardly ever tweet so I'm not sure who they are or why! But our organization is looking at starting a Twitter page. I can see some advantage to having a place to post quick updates, point to a good link or an important document to share with people. Something to think about as part of this culture change in how we do business.